Spray tanning is so much safer than the sun, and is a great way to get ready for swimsuit bikini season. You can get that bronzed look in no time and look great for special events, such as a wedding or party celebration. In order to achieve the perfect spray tan, there are several things you need to know.
Before Your Tan
1.Exfoliate before you appointment. It’s best to exfoliate the night before your appointment with a water based exfoliant, but you can also use a loofah, wash cloth or salt or sugar based scrub. If they have essential oils in them that is okay but the scrub should NOT leave your skin very oily.
2. Arrive to your appointment early. It’s better than being late.
3. Do not wear perfume, deodorant, makeup or jewelry to your appointment.
4. Do wear loose fitting, dark clothing and thongs or slides to your appointment. Tight fitting clothing might take off the tan.
5. Bring an old bathing suit, or generic underwear to your appointment, as the tan color will rub off on these garments (but doesn’t stain).
6. Consult with your spray tan artist and inform them of any dry skin areas, broken or abraded skin, wounds, and allergies.
7. Decide with your technician if you will go topless or nude for your spray tan. It’s perfectly okay if you don’t.
8.If you have perspired during your ride over to the salon ask for a cool cloth or gentle wipe to absorb the sweat and then dry your body before the actual spray session begins.
9. Follow technicians directions and be mindful to keep inner side of legs apart and inner arm from touching torso. If your arms and thighs touch this can create friction which could cause “holes,” in your tan and result in an uneven colour.
After Your Sunless Spray Tan
1. After your spray tan session allow the solution to air dry for a minimum of 10 minutes.
2. When dry to the touch-dress with your loose fitting dark clothing and thongs or loose shoes.
3. Allow 2-4 hours of “setting time,” to go by before engaging in any strenuous exercise or activities that may cause you to perspire.
4. Keep hands away from water for 2-4 hours. Use wipes to clean hands during “tanning time.”
5. Do not carry a clutch or heavy purse or backpack under arm or over shoulders as this will cause “rub-off,” of solution.
6. Refrain from any rubbing action of body skin during “tan time,” (2-4)hrs to achieve best result.
7. Shower as late as possible the day of your spray tan, or you can shower next morning but I don’t guarantee the outcome (lots of girls do this though)
8.Lay a dark loose sheet over your couch, or bed during “tanning time,” to collect any tan guide color that is expected to rub off.
9.Relax by watching television or reading during the next 2-4 hours while your tan “sets,” for an even and uniform tan result.
Then shower and wash as normal, no exfoliation and moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!
Some individuals with sensitive skin may develop an allergy to the chemicals found in spray tanning solution. Always be aware of any red bumps, swelling, or itching that develops after a spray tan. If these skin issues persist, you may want to seek medical attention.